O’Connor House in Charleston, Where Federal Officers Were Kept
During the last months of
the war a number of Federal prisoners were confined in Charleston while the
town was being bombarded by the Federals from their stronghold on Morris
Island. In retaliation, six hundred Confederate officers were sent from Fort
Delaware and placed in a stockade on Morris Island under the fire of the
Confederate guns. Little or no damage was done on either side. This is a
photograph of the O'Connor house in Charleston, used as an officers' prison.
It was taken in April, 1865, after the occupation of the city by the Federal
forces. The building in front of the O'Connor house is in ruins, but there
are no marks of shells visible on the O'Connor house itself. Now that the
fierce heat of war has passed, it has been admitted that it would have been
impossible to keep prisoners anywhere in Charleston without exposing them to
the bombardment, since that covered the entire city.