At the first signs of morning I reached higher land where the railroad left the trestle.

Leaving the track, I started off through a scattering growth of bushes, seeking an opportunity for a bath and for water to drink. While in the act of bathing, only a few minutes before the sun rose, two men came suddenly upon me, each armed with a double-barreled gun, and informed me that they were out quail-hunting. It is possible they were on the watch for me, as I learned later that my train made a stop about half a mile from where I left the swamp, which gave the guard an opportunity to inform the natives that there were stragglers about.

They questioned me pretty sharply, and I must have made some very uncertain replies, for our consultation ended in their taking me in charge. They conducted me to a building, in the midst of a little settlement, that seemed to be used as a carpenter's shop. They gave me all I wanted to eat,—fried egg-plant, hominy, and pork,—and a bed of shavings which was royal. I did not feel very bad over my recapture, so after eating my fill I fell asleep, and was only awakened by my captors about three o'clock in the afternoon in order to place me aboard the next train-load of prisoners, which they flagged for my special benefit. They very kindly gave me a parting ration of pork and hominy. I found several of my Andersonville acquaintances in the car upon which I was placed, and shared with them my generous allowance of pork and hominy. My full stomach and night's experience had roused my spirits wonderfully.

I reached Savannah only one day behind my proper train. Sometime in the night we were marched a short distance into an in-closure of high brick walls, which I soon learned was the jail yard of Savannah. Here I found the car-load of prisoners from which I had escaped, and regained my privileges and share of our mess of three.

At daylight the next morning the jail yard was eagerly explored, and among other things I discovered a small patch where there had been some Irish potatoes, evidently gathered several days before; but in carefully scratching over the loose sandy soil with sticks, in common with hundreds of other prisoners, I obtained six or seven small potatoes as large as walnuts, which were eagerly devoured raw. They relished better than anything I had eaten for four months, probably because I had begun to feel the creeping on of scurvy.

We remained in the Savannah jail yard four days. Personally I had enough to eat while there. The fifth day we again took box-cars for another jaunt at the expense of the Confederacy. The old story of " exchange " was told by our guard; and this time we moved towards the north, which made the story so plausible that none of us made any attempt to escape, though several good opportunities offered.

Hit Counter visits since 02/24/2004.
Page updated 05/25/2006